Economics AS AQA New Specification
Length of course: 5 half-day sessions
Boards: AQA (7135) only
This course is board-specific for the NEW AQA AS level specification (7135).
This course is for AS students only.
This course is not suitable for students re-sitting units from the outgoing Economics AS AQA (1141) specification.
Exam technique practice will focus on both qualitative and quantitative evaluation of evidence. Some emphasis will be given to the qualitative aspects of the course as these carry 15% of the available marks.
Correct application of the economics toolkit will be emphasised throughout. This process involves
identifying issues, defining key economic terms, developing application of a theoretical framework and effectively evaluating the overall argument.
The following topics will be covered:
• Economic methodology and the economic problem
• Price determination in a competitive market
• Production, costs and revenue
• Competitive and concentrated markets
• The market mechanism, market failure and government intervention in markets
• The measurement of macroeconomic performance
• How the macroeconomy works: the circular flow of income, AD/AS analysis, and related
• Economic performance: unemployment, inflation, economic growth
• Macroeconomic policies and conflicts