Physics A Level OCR/A New Specifications
Length of course: 5 full-day sessions
Boards: OCR/A H556 only
This course is suitable for students following the NEW OCR/A (H556) specification.
This course is for A level students only.
This course is not suitable for AS level students studying Physics AS OCR/A New Specification
This course is not suitable for students re-sitting units from the outgoing Physics A2 OCR/A (H558)
The following topics will be covered:
• Mechanics (1): Resolving and adding vectors, velocity and acceleration, projectile motion, F= ma, terminal velocity, moments, Archimedes’ principle.
• Mechanics (2): Work, energy, power, efficiency, Newton’s laws, momentum, collisions,
deformation of solids.
• Electric circuits: Kirchhoff’s laws, EMF, mean drift velocity, potential dividers, LDR,
• Waves and quantum physics: Refraction, polarisation, diffraction, interference, standing
waves, Young double slit, diffraction grating, EM waves, photoelectric effect, line spectra, de Broglie wavelength.
• Thermal physics and gases: Temperature, internal energy, absolute zero, heat capacity,
latent heat, kinetic theory of gases, liquids and solids.
• Circular motion and oscillations: Angular velocity, centripetal force, simple and damped
harmonic motion, resonance.
• Gravity, stars and cosmology: Newton’s law of gravitation, Kepler’s laws, gravitational
potential, HR diagram, Wein’s and Stefan’s laws, Doppler effect, Hubble’s law, Big Bang
• Capacitors and electric fields: Capacitors in series and parallel, charging and discharging
capacitors, permittivity, Coulomb’s law, uniform and radial electric fields, electric potential.
• Particle physics: Alpha particle scattering, quark-lepton model, radioactivity, carbon-dating,
nuclear fission and fusion, binding energy, E=mc2.
• Magnetism and medical imaging: Magnetic field patterns, Fleming’s left hand rule, charged
particles in magnetic fields, Faraday’s and Lenz’s laws, transformers, X-rays, CT scan,
gamma camera, PET scan, ultrasound imaging.
Where appropriate, help will also be provided for practical skills assessed in a written examination.