Religious Studies AS OCR New Specification
Length of course: 5 half-day sessions
Boards:OCR H173 only
This course is board-specific for the NEW OCR AS level specification (H173).
This course is for AS students only.
This course is not suitable for students re-sitting units from the outgoing Religious Studies AS OCR (H172) specification.
Please note that the Developments in religious thought topic will be covered in relation to
The following topics will be covered:
Philosophy of religion
• Ancient philosophical influences
• The nature of the soul, mind and body
• Arguments about the existence or non-existence of God
• The nature and impact of religious experience
• The challenge for religious belief of the problem of evil
Religion and ethics
• Normative ethical theories
• The application of ethical theory to two contemporary issues of importance
Developments in religious thought
• Religious beliefs, values and teachings, their interconnections and how they vary historically and in the contemporary world
• Sources of religious wisdom and authority
• Practices which shape and express religious identity, and how these vary within a tradition