Length of course: 5 half-day sessions
Boards: Edexcel 4CH0 and CIE 0620
This course is designed for students studying IGCSE Chemistry with Edexcel. Most topics covered in this course are also relevant to the CIE IGCSE Specification. However, CIE students need to be aware that there are a small number of topics on their specification which will not be covered by this revision course.
This course is not suitable for those students studying IGCSE Double/Dual Award Science or for those students studying any science courses which are not International.
The following topics will be covered:
Principles of chemistry
- Atomic structure;
- chemical formulae and equations;
- mole calculations;
- ionic and covalent bonding
Chemistry of the elements
- Groups 1 and 7;
- reactivity series;
- tests for gases and ions;
- transition elements
- Noble gases.
- alkenes and ethanol.
- Acids and bases;
- equilibrium and energetics;
- salt formation;
- pH scales as a measure of the strength of acids and alkalis and rates of reaction.
Chemistry in society
- Extraction and use of metals;
- crude oil;
- polymers and industrial manufacture of chemicals.