Mathematics GCSE (Higher Tier)
Length of course: 5 half-day sessions
Boards: Suitable for all boards
The National Curriculum requires all exam boards to offer a similar specification at GCSE. This
course is appropriate for all GCSE Mathematics candidates at the Higher tier. These are
examinations that will be graded on the new 9-1 scale.
The following content will be revised:
- Number: Types of Number and BODMAS; Multiples, Factors and Prime; LCM and HCF; Fractions, Decimals; Percentages; Fractions and Recurring Decimals; Rounding Numbers; Estimating; Bounds; Standard Form; Surds.
- Algebra: Algebra Basics; Powers and Roots; Multiplying Out Brackets; Factorising; Solving Equations; Rearranging Formulas; Factorising Quadratics; The Quadratic Formula; Completing the Square; Algebraic Fractions; Sequences; Inequalities; Graphical Inequalities, Iterative Methods; Simultaneous Equations; Proof; Functions.
- Graphs: Straight Lines; Straight Line Graphs; Gradients; Intercepts; Coordinates and Ratio; Parallel and Perpendicular Lines; Quadratic Graphs; Harder Graphs; Solving Equations Using Graphs; Graph Transformations; Real-Life Graphs.
- Ratio, Proportion and Rates of Change: Ratios; Direct and Inverse Proportion; Percentages; Compound Growth and Decay; Unit Conversions; Speed, Density and Pressure.
- Geometry and Measures: Geometry; Angles; Parallel Lines; Geometry Problems; Polygons; Triangles and Quadrilaterals; Circle Geometry; Congruent Shapes; Similar Shapes; The Four Transformations; Area and Perimeter; 3D Shapes; Enlargements and Projections; Loci and Construction; Bearings; Measures.
- Pythagoras and Trigonometry: Pythagoras' Theorem; Trigonometry; The Sine and Cosine Rules; 3D Pythagoras; 3D Trigonometry; Vectors.
- Probability and Statistics: Probability Basics; Counting Outcomes; Probability Experiments; The AND I OR Rules; Tree Diagrams; Conditional Probability; Sets and Venn Diagrams; Sampling and Bias; Collecting Data; Mean, Median, Mode and Range; Frequency Tables; Grouped Frequency Tables; Box Plots; Cumulative Frequency; Histograms and Frequency Density; Time Series; Scatter Graphs; Comparing Data Sets.