AS Level Physics
Week 1: Monday 30 March – Friday 3 April
Week 2: Monday 6 – Friday 10 April
Week 3: Monday 13 – Friday 17 April
AQA A 1451
Not suitable for those studying AQA-B specification
Length of Course
9am to 1pm
The course examines key topic areas and extensive use will be made of previous exam questions to illustrate relevant principles. The course will focus on exam technique and relating principles to applications. The course will cover the following topics:
PHYA1 Particles, Quantum Phenomena and Electricity
- Particles and Radiation
- Constituents of the atom; Stable and unstable nuclei; Particles, antiparticles and photons; Particle interactions; Classification of particles; Quarks and antiquarks.
- Electromagnetic Radiation and Quantum Phenomena
- The photoelectric effect; Collisions of electrons with atoms; Energy levels and photon emission; Wave-particle duality.
- Current Electricity
- Charge, current and potential difference; Current / voltage characteristics; Resistivity; Circuits; Potential divider; Electromotive force and internal resistance; Alternating currents; Oscilloscope.
PHYA2 Mechanics, Materials and Waves
- Scalars and vectors; Moments; Motion along a straight line;
- Projectile motion; Newton’s laws of motion; Work, energy and power;
- Conservation of energy.
- Bulk properties of solids; Young’s Modulus.
- Progressive Waves; Longitudinal and transverse waves; Refraction
- at a plane surface; Superposition of waves, stationary waves;
- Interference; Diffraction.
PHYA3 (Investigative and Practical Skills) not covered on this course