Chemistry A level OCR/B/Salters for Year 12
Length of course: 5 half-day sessions
Boards: OCR/B H433 Salters only
This course is board-specific for the OCR/B/Salters specification (H433).
This course is for Year 12 students only.
- Elements of life: atomic structure, atomic spectra and electron configurations; fusion reactions; mass spectrometry and isotopes; the periodic table and Group 2 chemistry; bonding and the shapes of molecules; chemical equations and amount of substance (moles); ions: formulae, charge density, tests; titrations and titration calculations.
- Developing fuels: the chemical ideas in this module are: thermochemistry; organic chemistry: names and combustion of alkanes, alkenes, alcohols; heterogeneous catalysis; reactions of alkenes; addition polymers; electrophilic addition; gas volume calculations; shapes of organic molecules, σ- and π-bonds; structural and E/Z isomers; dealing with polluting gases.
- Elements from the sea: halogen chemistry; redox chemistry and electrolysis; equilibrium; atom economy.
- The ozone story: composition by volume of gases; the electromagnetic spectrum and the interaction of radiation with matter; rates of reaction; radical reactions; intermolecular bonding; haloalkanes; nucleophilic substitution reactions; the sustainability of the ozone layer.
- What’s in a medicine? the chemistry of the –OH group, phenols and alcohols; carboxylic acids and esters; mass spectrometry and IR spectroscopy; organic synthesis, preparative techniques and thin layer chromatography; green chemistry.