Physics A Level OCR/A
Length of course: 5 full-day sessions
Boards: OCR/A H556 only
This course is suitable for students following the NEW OCR/A (H556) specification.
This course is for A level students only.
This course is not suitable for AS level students studying Physics AS OCR/A (H156).
- Mechanics (1): Resolving and adding vectors, velocity and acceleration, projectile motion, F= ma, terminal velocity, moments, Archimedes’ principle.
- Mechanics (2): Work, energy, power, efficiency, Newton’s laws, momentum, collisions deformation of solids.
- Electric circuits: Kirchhoff’s laws, EMF, mean drift velocity, potential dividers, LDR, thermistors.
- Waves and quantum physics: Refraction, polarisation, diffraction, interference, standing waves, Young double slit, diffraction grating, EM waves, photoelectric effect, line spectra, de Broglie wavelength.
- Thermal physics and gases: Temperature, internal energy, absolute zero, heat capacity, latent heat, kinetic theory of gases, liquids and solids.
- Circular motion and oscillations: Angular velocity, centripetal force, simple and damped harmonic motion, resonance.
- Gravity, stars and cosmology: Newton’s law of gravitation, Kepler’s laws, gravitational potential, HR diagram, Wein’s and Stefan’s laws, Doppler effect, Hubble’s law, Big Bang theory.
- Capacitors and electric fields: Capacitors in series and parallel, charging and discharging capacitors, permittivity, Coulomb’s law, uniform and radial electric fields, electric potential.
- Particle physics: Alpha particle scattering, quark-lepton model, radioactivity, carbon-dating, nuclear fission and fusion, binding energy, E=mc2.
- Magnetism and medical imaging: Magnetic field patterns, Fleming’s left hand rule, charged particles in magnetic fields, Faraday’s and Lenz’s laws, transformers, X-rays, CT scan, gamma camera, PET scan, ultrasound imaging.
Where appropriate, help will also be provided for practical skills assessed in a written examination.