Chemistry A level OCR/B/Salters for Year 12
- Week 1: Monday 28 March – Friday 1 April
- Week 2: Monday 4 April – Friday 8 April
- Week 3: Monday 11 April – Friday 15 April
OCR/B H433 Salters
Length of Course
9am to 12.30pm and/or 1.30pm to 5pm daily
This course is board-specific for the OCR/B/Salters specification (H433) and is for Year 12 students only.
The course will cover the following:
- Elements of life: atomic structure, atomic spectra and electron configurations; fusion reactions; mass
spectrometry and isotopes; the periodic table and Group 2 chemistry; bonding and the shapes of
molecules; chemical equations and amount of substance (moles); ions: formulae, charge density, tests;
titrations and titration calculations.
- Developing fuels: the chemical ideas in this module are: thermochemistry; organic chemistry: names
and combustion of alkanes, alkenes, alcohols; heterogeneous catalysis; reactions of alkenes; addition
polymers; electrophilic addition; gas volume calculations; shapes of organic molecules, σ- and π-bonds;
structural and E/Z isomers; dealing with polluting gases.
- Elements from the sea: halogen chemistry; redox chemistry and electrolysis; equilibrium; atom
- The ozone story: composition by volume of gases; the electromagnetic spectrum and the interaction
of radiation with matter; rates of reaction; radical reactions; intermolecular bonding; haloalkanes;
nucleophilic substitution reactions; the sustainability of the ozone layer.
What’s in a medicine?: the chemistry of the –OH group, phenols and alcohols; carboxylic acids and
esters; mass spectrometry and IR spectroscopy; organic synthesis, preparative techniques and thin
layer chromatography; green chemistry.
Discover more at MPW
In their own words - testimonials from our past students and their parents.
MPW Cambridge was judged as Outstanding in all areas by Ofsted.
At MPW we believe in making our courses fit the student’s requirements.