AS Level Physics · OCR (legacy)
Week 1: Monday 28 March – Friday 1 April
Week 2: Monday 4 – Friday 8 April
Week 3: Monday 11 – Friday 15 April
OCR A H158
Not suitable for those studying OCR-B
Length of Course
9am to 1pm daily
The course examines key topic areas and extensive use will be made of previous exam
questions to illustrate relevant principles. The course will focus on exam technique and
relating principles to applications.
The course will cover the following topics:
G481 - Mechanics
- Motion – physical quantities and units; scalars and vectors; kinematics; linear motion.
- Forces in action – force; nonlinear motion; equilibrium; car safety.
- Work and energy – work and conservation of energy; kinetic and potential energies; power; behaviour of springs and materials.
G482 - Electrons, Waves and Photons
- Resistance – circuit symbols; e.m.f. and p.d.; resistance; resistivity; power.
- DC circuits – series and parallel circuits; practical circuits.
- Waves – wave motion; electromagnetic waves; interference; stationary waves.
- Quantum physics – energy of a photon; the photoelectric effect; wave-particle duality; energy levels in atoms.
G483 (Practical Skills) not covered on this course
Particular emphasis will be placed on the topic areas students generally find most difficult.