A Level Philosophy
- Week 1: Monday 29 March – Friday 2 April
- Week 2: Monday 5 – Friday 9 April
- Week 3: Monday 12 – Friday 16 April
Length of Course
8 hour seminars
9am to 6pm daily
- What is knowledge? The tripartite view, Gettier problems and analyses of knowledge.
- Perception as a source of knowledge. Direct realism, indirect realism and idealism.
- Reason as a source of knowledge. Innatism and the intuition and deduction thesis.
- The limits of knowledge. The distinction between normal incredulity and philosophical scepticism.
2. Moral philosophy
- Normative ethical theories. Utilitarianism, Kantian deontological ethics, Aristotelian virtue ethics.
- Applied ethics. Applying normative ethical theories to the issues of stealing, simulated killing, eating animals and telling lies.
- Meta-ethics. Moral realism and moral anti-realism.
3. Metaphysics of God
- The concept and nature of God. Attributes of God and their coherence.
- Arguments relating to the existence of God.
- The cosmological, teleological and ontological arguments, and the problem of evil.
- Religious language. Cognitivist and non-cognitivist approaches.
4. Metaphysics of Mind
- What do we mean by ‘mind’? Qualia and intentionality.
- Dualist theories. Substance dualism and property dualism.
- Physicalist theories. Philosophical behaviourism, mind-brain type-identity theory and eliminative materialism.
Discover more at MPW
In their own words - testimonials from our past students and their parents.
MPW London was judged as Excellent in all areas by ISI.
At MPW we believe in making our courses fit the student’s requirements.