Get Ahead this Summer
After an academic year (or two) like none before, we all need a break this summer. However, it is also a great opportunity for you to get ahead in your studies. Whether you are starting your GCSEs, progressing to A levels, beginning your degree, or heading to the UK to study for the first time, there are plenty of ways you can prepare for your future this summer.
If you already have a career in mind, then work experience is a great use of your summer. Not only will it give you an insight into your future career, but it will also help support your university and job applications. In fact, some universities require work experience for entrance to some degrees such as Medicine, Nursing, Midwifery, Teaching and Veterinary Medicine, to name just a few.
As well as helping your university application, work experience can help you secure a permanent job – consider looking for internships at companies you’d like to work for in the future. Check out Prospects for internships available this summer.
Volunteering is another great way to gain valuable work experience, which is often combined with travel if volunteering overseas. Reach Volunteering and GVI have exciting volunteering opportunities for the summer.
Studying during your summer break is a great way to get ahead of your peers and prepare for your upcoming studies.
This can be as self-study:
- Completing (or starting) the reading list for your next year of study is an excellent way to prepare yourself for upcoming studies and familiarise yourself with potentially new subjects.
- Take a short course online. Whether it’s a topic related to your field of study or a completely different subject altogether, a short course can help you keep your studying momentum throughout the summer.
- Learning (or furthering learning of) a language is a great way to spend the summer and is even better when combined with visiting a country where the language is spoken.
Or as part of a Summer Programme:
At MPW, we have several programmes running to help you get ahead this summer…
Ready for Excellence
- A free programme of online, interactive classes to launch you into the Autumn term, taking place every Friday from 2nd-30th July.
Pre-sessional English Programme
- Our five-week online Pre-sessional English Programme is designed to support international students who wish to improve their English language skills prior to the new academic year.
Energise my Learning
- Bespoke programmes to get you back on track and ready for September 2021. One week of one-to-one intensive, structured coaching in a subject of your choice.
Oxbridge Summer School
- Designed for high-achieving students aiming for Oxbridge entry in September 2022, our Oxbridge Summer School will help to prepare you for subject-specific assessment and for the challenging interview process.
With that said, don’t forget to make time to also socialise and relax… you definitely deserve it after this past year!