AS and A2 Level Course Outlines
This course is suitable for all examination boards.
Our Spanish revision course is skill-specific as opposed to board or topic specific. The aim of this course is:
- develop understanding of the spoken and written forms of Spanish in a range of contexts;
- develop the ability to communicate effectively in Spanish, through both the spoken and written word, using a range of vocabulary and structures;
- develop knowledge and understanding of the grammar of Spanish, and the ability to apply it;
- apply their knowledge and understanding in a variety of relevant contexts which reflect their previous learning and maturity;
- develop knowledge and understanding of countries and communities where Spanish is spoken;
- develop positive attitudes to Spanish learning;
- provide a suitable foundation for further study and/or practical use of Spanish.
Each morning and afternoon session incorporates practice of the following examination skills drawing upon AS level material or utilising A2 level material:
- Speaking: oral exams; presentation; general conversation.
- Listening comprehension
- Reading comprehension
- Writing: short and long responses; essay writing and task-based responses.
In each session emphasis is placed on areas of grammar that commonly cause students problems. Students are set exercises to prepare, paragraphs to write and sentences to translate and are encouraged to memorise key vocabulary and use idiomatic structures in the target language.
Addressing the language component (75-85%) of A level modern language specifications, the course does not give specific coverage to set texts and set topics.
Where students specifically want help on Spanish literature texts, this can usually be accommodated by means of individual tuition. Please contact the Course Director to discuss your precise requirements and giving the text’s title, author and edition used.
As students will be aware, a five day course cannot do justice to the two skills of speaking and listening. Although these will be studied at some level throughout the week, success relies on regular practice and consistent revision of vocabulary. Further guidance can be given, however, on oral exam topics and presentations, as well as strategies to assist with listening skills.
Please provide as much detail as possible on your questionnaire to enable tutors to tailor the course to your needs.