AS Level Biology
- Week 1: Monday 29 March – Friday 2 April
- Week 2: Monday 5 – Friday 9 April
- Week 3: Monday 12 – Friday 16 April
OCR A H420
Length of Course
9am to 1pm daily
The course focuses on topics that many students find difficult. Extensive use is made of past exam questions (from the old specification) to emphasise answering techniques. Revision notes and model answers will be provided, where appropriate.
The course will cover the following:
Module 2: Foundations in Biology
- Cell structure (cell organelles)
- Biological molecules (similarities and differences between carbohydrate, lipids and proteins)
- Nucleotides and nucleic acids (DNA and RNA)
- Enzymes (how they work and the effects of temperature, pH, concentrations and inhibitors)
- Biological membranes (Fluid mosaic model and diffusion, osmosis, active transport, endocytosis and exocytosis)
- Cell division, cell diversity and cellular organisation (mitosis and meiosis, tissues, organs and organ systems)
Module 3: Exchange and Transport
- Exchange surfaces (features of lungs, gills, tracheal systems)
- Transport in animals (blood, vessels, heart, tissue fluid)
- Transport in plants (xylem and phloem)
Module 4: Biodiversity, Evolution and Disease
- Communicable diseases, disease prevention and the immune system
- Biodiversity (variation in species and habitats)
- Classification and evolution (natural selection)
Module 1: Development of Practical skills in Biology not covered in this course.
Discover more at MPW
In their own words - testimonials from our past students and their parents.
MPW London was judged as Excellent in all areas by ISI.
At MPW we believe in making our courses fit the student’s requirements.