AS Level Physics
- Week 1: Monday 29 March – Friday 2 April
- Week 2: Monday 5 – Friday 9 April
- Week 3: Monday 12 – Friday 16 April
AQA AS 7407 – not suitable for those studying AQA Physics B
Length of Course
9am to 1pm daily
The course examines key Section areas and extensive use will be made of previous exam questions to illustrate relevant principles. The course will focus on exam technique and relating principles to applications.
The course will cover the following:
Section 1: Measurements and their Errors
- Quantities and Units
- Vectors and Scalars
- Implications of scientific knowledge
Section 2: Particles and Radiation
- Radiation, atoms, antimatter, the Standard Model, the fundamental forces, E=mc2
- Photons, spectra, the photoelectric effect, wave-particle duality, the electronvolt
Section 3: Waves and the Particle Nature of Light
- Progressive waves, wave properties, refraction and reflection, superposition and interference
- Young’s double slits, diffraction gratings, stationary waves, optical fibres
Section 4: Mechanics and Materials
- Motion in a straight line, SUVAT (constant acceleration) equations, projectile motion, freefall
- Newton’s laws, Linear Momentum, Impulse, Collisions
- Force diagrams, terminal velocity, moments and couples, Conservation of energy, kinetic energy, gravitational potential energy, power and efficiency
- Springs and Hooke’s law, elastic potential energy, Stress-strain and the Young modulus
- Density and pressure, Archimedes’ principle
Section 5: Electricity
- Charge, Current, Kirchoff’s laws, energy, power and resistance
- Circuit components and symbols, I-V characteristics, resistivity
- Resistor combinations, analysing circuits, internal resistance, potential dividers, sensing circuits
- The practical endorsement is not explicitly covered on this course, however relevant experiments and techniques will be discussed where appropriate throughout.
The practical endorsement is not explicitly covered on this course, however relevant experiments and techniques will be discussed where appropriate throughout.
Discover more at MPW
In their own words - testimonials from our past students and their parents.
MPW London was judged as Excellent in all areas by ISI.
At MPW we believe in making our courses fit the student’s requirements.