AS Level Physics Edexcel
- Week 1: 27 March – 31 March
- Week 2: 3 April – 7 April
- Week 3: 10 April – 14 April
Edexcel (Pearson) A 8PHO – not suitable for those studying Edexcel Salters Horners approach
Length of Course
9am to 1pm daily
The course examines key topic areas and extensive use will be made of previous exam questions to illustrate relevant principles. The course will focus on exam technique and relating principles to applications.
The course will cover the following:
Topic 1: Working as a Physicist
- Quantities and Units
- Vectors and Scalars
- Implications of scientific knowledge
Topic 2: Mechanics
- Motion in a straight line, SUVAT (constant acceleration) equations, projectile motion, freefall
- Force diagrams, terminal velocity, moments and couples, conservation of energy, kinetic energy, gravitational potential energy, power and efficiency
Topic 3: Electrical Circuits
- Charge, Current, Kirchoff’s first law, energy, power and resistance
- Circuit components and symbols, I-V characteristics, resistance
- Resistor combinations, analysing circuits, internal resistance, potential dividers, sensing circuits
Topic 4: Electrical Circuits
- Springs and Hooke’s law, elastic potential energy, Stress-strain and the Young modulus
- Density and pressure, Archimedes principle
Topic 5: Waves and the Particle Nature of Light
- Progressive waves, wave properties, refraction and reflection, superposition and interference, Young’s double slits, stationary waves
- Lenses, ray diagrams, magnification, pulse-echo techniques
- Photons, the photoelectric effect, wave-particle duality, the electronvolt
The practical endorsement is not explicitly covered on this course, however relevant experiments and techniques will be discussed where appropriate throughout.
Discover more at MPW
In their own words - testimonials from our past students and their parents.
MPW London was judged as Excellent in all areas by ISI.
At MPW we believe in making our courses fit the student’s requirements.