AS Level Physics
- Week 1: Monday 29 March – Friday 2 April
- Week 2: Monday 5 – Friday 9 April
- Week 3: Monday 12 – Friday 16 April
OCR A H156 – not suitable for those studying OCR B
Length of Course
9am to 1pm daily
The course examines key topic areas and extensive use will be made of previous exam questions to illustrate relevant principles. The course will focus on exam technique and relating principles to applications.
The course will cover the following:
Module 2: Foundations in Physics
- Quantities and Units
- Vectors and Scalars
Module 3: Forces and Motion
- Motion in a straight line, SUVAT (constant acceleration) equations, projectile motion, freefall
Forces in Action
- Force diagrams, terminal velocity, moments and couples, density and pressure, Archimedes’ principle
Work, Energy and Power
- Conservation of energy, kinetic energy, gravitational potential energy, power and efficiency
- Springs and Hooke’s law, elastic potential energy, Stress-strain and the Young modulus
Newton’s Laws of Motion and Momentum
- Newton’s laws, linear momentum, impulse, collisions
Module 4: Electrons, Waves and Photons
Charge and Current
- Kirchoff’s first law
Energy, Power and Resistance
- Circuit components and symbols, I-V characteristics, resistance
- Kirchoff’s laws and circuits, resistor combinations, analysing circuits, internal resistance, potential dividers, sensing circuits
- Progressive waves, wave properties, refraction and reflection, superposition and interference, Young’s double slits, stationary waves.
- Photons, the photoelectric effect, wave-particle duality
Module 1 Development of Practical Skills in Physics not explicitly covered on this course, however relevant experiments and techniques will be discussed where appropriate throughout.
Discover more at MPW
In their own words - testimonials from our past students and their parents.
MPW London was judged as Excellent in all areas by ISI.
At MPW we believe in making our courses fit the student’s requirements.