A level Physics OCR/A
- Week 1: Monday 27 March – Friday 31 March
- Week 2: Monday 3 April – Friday 7 April (including Good Friday)
- Week 3: Monday 10 April – Friday 14 April (including Easter Monday)
Length of Course
5 full-day sessions
This course is board-specific for the OCR/A (H556) specification and is for A Level Year 13 students only.
The following topics will be covered:
- Mechanics (1): Resolving and adding vectors, velocity and acceleration, projectile motion, F= ma, terminal velocity, moments, Archimedes’ principle.
- Mechanics (2): Work, energy, power, efficiency, Newton’s laws, momentum, collisions, deformation of solids.
- Electric circuits: Kirchhoff’s laws, EMF, mean drift velocity, potential dividers, LDR, thermistors.
- Waves and quantum physics: Refraction, polarisation, diffraction, interference, standing waves, Young double-slit experiment, diffraction grating, EM waves, photoelectric effect, line spectra, de Broglie wavelength.
- Thermal physics and gases: Temperature, internal energy, absolute zero, heat capacity, latent heat, kinetic theory of gases, liquids and solids.
- Circular motion and oscillations: Angular velocity, centripetal force, simple and damped harmonic motion, resonance.
- Gravity, stars and cosmology: Newton’s law of gravitation, Kepler’s laws, gravitational potential, HR diagram, Wein’s and Stefan’s laws, Doppler effect, Hubble’s law, Big Bang theory.
- Capacitors and electric fields: Capacitors in series and parallel, charging and discharging capacitors, permittivity, Coulomb’s law, uniform and radial electric fields, electric potential.
- Particle physics: Alpha particle scattering, quark-lepton model, radioactivity, carbon-dating, nuclear fission and fusion, binding energy, E=mc2.
- Magnetism and medical imaging: Magnetic field patterns, Fleming’s left-hand rule, charged particles in magnetic fields, Faraday’s and Lenz’s laws, transformers, X-rays, CT scan, gamma camera, PET scan, ultrasound imaging.
Discover more at MPW
In their own words - testimonials from our past students and their parents.
MPW Cambridge was judged as Outstanding in all areas by Ofsted.
At MPW we believe in making our courses fit the student’s requirements.