Religious Studies A level OCR for Year 13
- Week 1: Monday 28 March – Friday 1 April
- Week 2: Monday 4 April – Friday 8 April
- Week 3: Monday 11 April – Friday 15 April
Length of Course
9am to 5pm daily
This course is board-specific for the OCR specification (H573) and is for A Level Year 13 students only.
Please note that the Developments in religious thought topic will be covered in relation to Christianity only.
The following topics will be covered:
Philosophy of religion
- Ancient philosophical influences
- The nature of the soul, mind and body
- Arguments about the existence or non-existence of God
- The challenge for religious belief of the problem of evil
- The nature and impact of religious experience
- The nature and attributes of God
- Religious language: Negative, Analogical or Symbolic
- Twentieth century perspectives and philosophical comparisons
Religion and ethics
- Normative ethical theories
- The application of ethical theory to two contemporary issues of importance
- Meta-ethical theories
- Sexual ethics
Developments in religious thought
- Religious beliefs, values and teachings, their interconnections and how they vary historically and in the contemporary world
- Section 1: Beliefs, teachings and ideas about human life, the world and ultimate reality (Augustine on human nature and Christian views on death and the afterlife)
- Section 2: Knowledge of God (Knowledge of God’s existence and the person of Jesus Christ)
- Section 3: Christian Moral Principles (The Bible, Church and reason as sources of wisdom and authority) & Christian Moral action (Dietrich Bonhoeffer)
- Section 4: Developments in Christian Thought (Religious pluralism and theology, Religious pluralism and society)
- Section 5: The relationship between religion and society (Gender and society, Gender and theology
- Section 6: Challenges facing religious thought (Secularism, Liberation theology and Marx)
Discover more at MPW
In their own words - testimonials from our past students and their parents.
MPW Cambridge was judged as Outstanding in all areas by Ofsted.
At MPW we believe in making our courses fit the student’s requirements.