GCSE Mathematics Higher Tier
- Week 1: Monday 27 March – Friday 31 March
- Week 2: Monday 3 April – Friday 7 April
- Week 3: Monday 10 April – Friday 14 April
(Good Friday is 7 April 2023; Easter Monday is 10 April 2023)
Suitable for all boards
Length of Course
5 half-day sessions
9am to 12.30pm and/or 1.30pm to 5pm daily
The National Curriculum requires all exam boards to offer a similar specification at GCSE. This course is appropriate for all GCSE Mathematics candidates at the Higher tier. These are examinations that will be graded on the 9-1 scale.
The following content will be revised:
- Number: Types of Number and BODMAS; Multiples, Factors and Prime; LCM and HCF; Fractions, Decimals; Percentages; Fractions and Recurring Decimals; Rounding Numbers; Estimating; Bounds; Standard Form; Surds.
- Algebra: Algebra Basics; Powers and Roots; Multiplying Out Brackets; Factorising; Solving Equations; Rearranging Formulas; Factorising Quadratics; The Quadratic Formula; Completing the Square; Algebraic Fractions; Sequences; Inequalities; Graphical Inequalities, Iterative Methods; Simultaneous Equations; Proof; Functions.
- Graphs: Straight Lines; Straight Line Graphs; Gradients; Intercepts; Coordinates and Ratio; Parallel and Perpendicular Lines; Quadratic Graphs; Harder Graphs; Solving Equations Using Graphs; Graph Transformations; Real-Life Graphs.
- Ratio, Proportion and Rates of Change: Ratios; Direct and Inverse Proportion; Percentages; Compound Growth and Decay; Unit Conversions; Speed, Density and Pressure.
- Geometry and Measures: Geometry; Angles; Parallel Lines; Geometry Problems; Polygons; Triangles and Quadrilaterals; Circle Geometry; Congruent Shapes; Similar Shapes; The Four Transformations; Area and Perimeter; 3D Shapes; Enlargements and Projections; Loci and Construction; Bearings; Measures.
- Pythagoras and Trigonometry: Pythagoras’ Theorem; Trigonometry; The Sine and Cosine Rules; 3D Pythagoras; 3D Trigonometry; Vectors.
- Probability and Statistics: Probability Basics; Counting Outcomes; Probability Experiments; The AND I OR Rules; Tree Diagrams; Conditional Probability; Sets and Venn Diagrams; Sampling and Bias; Collecting Data; Mean, Median, Mode and Range; Frequency Tables; Grouped Frequency Tables; Box Plots; Cumulative Frequency; Histograms and Frequency Density; Time Series; Scatter Graphs; Comparing Data Sets.
Discover more at MPW
In their own words - testimonials from our past students and their parents.
MPW Cambridge was judged as Outstanding in all areas by Ofsted.
At MPW we believe in making our courses fit the student’s requirements.