Mathematics GCSE Foundation Tier
Length of course: 5 half-day sessions
Boards: Suitable for all boards
The National Curriculum requires all exam boards to offer a similar specification GCSE. This course is appropriate for all GCSE Mathematics candidates at the Foundation tier. These are examinations that will be graded on the 9-1 scale.
The following content will be revised:
- Number: Types of Number and BODMAS; Word Problems; Multiplying and Dividing; Negative Numbers; Prime Numbers; Multiples, Factors and Prime Factors; LCM and HCF; Fractions, Decimals; Percentages; Rounding Numbers; Estimating; Powers and Roots; Standard Form; Measures.
- Algebra: Algebraic manipulation; Simplifying; Multiplying and Dividing; Multiplying Double Brackets; Factorising; Solving Equations; Expressions, Formulas and Functions; Rearranging Formulas; Sequences; Inequalities; Quadratic Equations; Simultaneous Equations; Proof
- Graphs: Coordinates and Midpoints; Straight-Line Graphs; Quadratic Graphs; Harder Graphs; Solving Equations Using Graphs; Distance-Time Graphs; Real-Life Graphs.
- Ratio, Proportion and Rates of Change: Ratios; Direct Proportion Problems; Inverse Proportion Problems; Percentages; Compound Growth and Decay; Unit Conversions; Area and Volume Conversions; Time Intervals; Speed, Density and Pressure.
- Shapes and Area: Properties of 2D Shapes; Congruent Shapes; Similar Shapes; The Four Transformations; Perimeter and Area; 3D Shapes; Surface Area; Volume; Projections.
- Angles and Geometry: Angle Basics; Five Angle Rules; Parallel Lines; Geometry Problems; Angles in Polygons; Triangle Construction; Loci and Construction; Bearings; Maps and Scale Drawings; Pythagoras’ Theorem; Trigonometry; Vectors.
- Probability and Statistics: Probability Basics; Probability Experiments; The AND/ OR Rules; Tree Diagrams; Sets and Venn Diagrams; Sampling and Bias; Collecting Data; Mean, Median, Mode and Range; Charts and Graphs; Frequency Tables; Grouped Frequency Tables; Interpreting Data; Comparing Data Sets.